Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our Garden

So this year we planted lots of tomatoes and corn and beans indoor and I kept most of them alive while they were in the house. Then they started to get too big and I had to transplant them into larger pots (while still indoors). Then I gradually took them outside everyday and eventually they were planted into the garden. While most of those plants did not survive we decided to purchase tomato plants from the store. Gary was very outgoing and wanted to chose a lot of different varieties. So we ended up with about 36 tomato plants. On top of that we have a whole packet of corn that was planted and some sunflowers, beans and peppers. Well to say the least, we have so many tomatoes!!! We have already eaten a few that had ripened and they are very tasty. The corn and beans are great too! The sunflowers haven't blossomed yet, but they are huge. The one is over 7 feet tall. The second is about 6 feet and the 3rd is my height at 5'4 (with shoes). This picture was taken one week ago. It has been a lot of up keep and I am looking forward to canning some tomatoes and spaghetti sauce.
The right half of the picture are all tomato plants. The best part is we have irrigation water from Milcreek Canyon and so we don't have to water it from the sprinklers. The back of the garden has tubing that allows for the water to be distributed throughout the garden in rows. We have purchased extra tubing and hooked them together to flood the lawn so we don't have to water it as much. Isaac loves to play in the water as it flows out of the tube.

4 comments:

Stephers said...

Wow, you will have to teach me how to do that some day! Nothing tastes better than picking fresh veggies out of your own garden :)

Nat said...

Found it! Cute blog! Fun to hang out today. Thanks for calling us. I do love your garden. We are up for any leftover tomatoes! See you tomorrow.

The Hopkins Family said...

Thanks for calling me today. It was really fun to hang out. I truly enjoy your friendship and I am grateful to have found someone that I clicked with so well. Can't wait to see you tomorrow. PS I love you boy, he is the cutest.

Theresa said...

I did the same thing with my tomato plants but since Jeff doesn't really like tomatoes, I only have 5 plants. But they are all going to produce at the same time! That is a lot of tomatoes for one person to eat. Good to see the rest of your garden doing good as well.